Saturday, November 16, 2013

Book Review- Cress

Last night I finished reading Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.


In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.


I love how these series are related to fairy tales!  This book was so easy to see the how it was supposed to be related to Rapunzel.  The long hair.  Being trapped alone in a satellite (her tower).  The evil female adult.  And a captain to rescue her (the captain.)

This book was quite large and while I enjoyed it, I found it taking me a long time to get through.  It wasn't one I could fly through but really  had to think about what I was reading.  But that didn't stop me from liking it.

I liked the twist with the Doctor and who his child was.  And I liked what happened with Emperor Kai.  And I loved all the characters--Cinder and Scarlett and Wolf and Iko.  (Iko cracks me up!  Her humor is hilarious!)  The plot was really interesting but I feel like I can't say much without giving it away.

Even though the book was so large, there still seems to be a lot left to happen.  There is a fourth book in the series that will involve Snow White and take place on the moon!  I can't wait to read it!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

Cress will be released on February 4, 2014.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 56
2013 ARC Reading Challenge: 33
2013 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 45
2013 Mammoth Book Challenge: 4

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this one. A little jealous that you've already read it!

    ReplyDelete