Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review- Things I Can't Forget

I just finished reading Thing I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Companion to Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker.

Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different…

This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt--with her.

Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy…


I always forget just how preachy and in-your-face religious these books are.  And that turns me off at the beginning.  But I make myself plow through and end up enjoying them.

I liked Kate, for the most part.  I liked that when she was really needed, she looked past her strict beliefs and helped her best friend.  I do think that she went too far with her beliefs.  If she wanted to be super religious, then good for her and that's her right.  But I don't think it was right of her to judge those that weren't.  They're entitled to her beliefs just as she's entitled to hers (although I don't think it was fair of others to judge her either). 

And I do think that was a major theme in the book. She was growing and learning that everyone believes different things and that she has to be accepting of that.  And that just because they don't believe the same things she does, doesn't mean they're bad people.  I think her eyes really became open to the world around her. 

I really liked Matt and Parker and Will.  They seemed like good, strong, teenage role models.  Yes, they veered slightly off the super strict path, but they were still good kids.

The camping aspect of the book was fun to read about and so was the look at first love. 

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 49
2013 ARC Reading Challenge: 28
2013 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 38

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment