Sunday, April 22, 2012

Book Review-Wake

I just finished reading Wake by Amanda Hocking for an Around the World ARC Tours.

From Goodreads:

Amanda Hocking takes you deep into a new world with the first book in the Watersong series.

Beautiful. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Thea, and Lexi have caught everyone's attention, including the eye of practical Harper. But it's her sister, Gemma, they've chosen to be part of their group.

Sixteen-year-old Gemma seems to have it all - carefree, pretty, and falling in love with the boy next door. But her greatest passion has always been the water. She craves late night swims under the stars, where she can be alone yet belong to the sea. Lately she's had company. Penn, Thea, and Lexi spend their nights dancing, singing, and partying on the cove--and one night Gemma joins them. When she wakes up groggy on the beach the next morning, she knows something has changed.

Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. As she uncovers the truth about her new mythical powers, Gemma is forced to choose between staying with those she loves or entering a dark world brimming with unimaginable secrets.
 
I am always fascinated by mermaid stories (I just know its because of my love for The Little Mermaid) and that flows over into a love of siren stories as well. 
 
I really liked the characters in this story.  Harper was the older sister with the tough outer shell.  She's had to step up to become the mother-like figure, protective and worrying, and can't let anyone see the softer side of her.  Gemma is the typical younger sister--more relaxed and free except with her hobby of swimming and goal of being in the Olympics.   Then there's the boys-  Alex and Daniel.  Both great guys and one for each of the sisters (no love triangle in this story!)  Even the sirens are well written.
 
The one thing I didn't like was that the book left you hanging.  And while I guess it could be considered a cliff hanger, I felt more like the story didn't wrap up well.  I don't know how to explain it, but usually with cliffhangers I get the feeling of it being in the right spot (if that makes any sense).  But I feel that in this book, more needed to be told before the cliffhanger. 
 
Anyways, I will defintely be picking up the next book in the series when it comes out!
 
I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.
 
Wake will be released on August 7, 2012.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 35
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 30
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 32
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm fascinated by mermaids, also because of The little Mermaid :D What a pity that the ending wasn't so great, but it sounds like a great read :)

    ReplyDelete