Saturday, March 3, 2012

Book Review- Miracle

I just finished reading Miracle by Elizabeth Scott for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

I sat there and wondered again why I'd lived…

Megan is a miracle. At least, that’s what everyone says. Having survived a plane crash that killed everyone else on board, Megan knows she should be grateful just to be alive. The truth is, she doesn’t feel like a miracle. In fact, she doesn’t feel anything at all. Then memories from the crash start coming back. Scared and alone, Megan doesn’t know who to turn to. Her entire community seems unable—or maybe unwilling—to see her as anything but Miracle Megan. Except for Joe, the beautiful boy next door with a tragic past and secrets of his own... All Megan wants is for her life to get back to normal, but the harder she tries to live up to everyone’s expectations, the worse she feels. This time, she may be falling too fast to be saved…

So I just went back and checked and it seems like I always feel the same way about Elizabeth Scott.  I want her books to move and and make me feel.  The topics sure suggest that they will.  But they never do and I think it's mostly to due to how the characters are written.  I never really care about them or feel sympathetic for them.

I wanted to feel bad for Megan and feel sorry for her.  After all she witnessed at the plane crash, I wanted to like her and be hopeful for her.  But I really didn't care about her.  I get that she didn't feel anything but I don't think she needed to come off as so cold...she could have felt nothing and still been a sympathetic character. 

And there are some other smaller details that I would have liked to have known.  Was her brother diagnosed with a disease or was he just a sick kid with bad luck at always getting hurt?  Just why did the plane crash?  And I thought it was kinda weird that she was on such a small plane coming back from soccer camp.  It would have made more sense if she was on a commercial airliner (her parents didn't seem to have enough money for plane that only held 5 or 6 people) or a small plane with other soccer players. 

So yeah, it wasn't a bad story by any means, it just didn't get me to feel anything.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 21
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 18
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 18
Completely Contemp Challenge 2012: 2012-3
2012 Standalone Reading Challenge: 3

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I get what you mean with those books that you feel like you SHOULD care, but you just don't. The things you mentioned that didn't make sense probably would have bothered me as well. I really haven't heard about this book, so I'll be interested to see what other people think as well. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete