Friday, December 16, 2011

Book Review- The International Kissing Club

I finished reading The International Kissing Club by Ivy Adams for a Teen Book Scene Review.

From Goodreads:

Piper, Cassidy, Mei, and Izzy have been best friends their whole lives. And they've always agreed on one goal: to get out of tiny Paris, Texas, and see the world. The school's foreign exchange program seems like the perfect escape: Piper will go to the original Paris; Mei will go to China; Cassidy will go to Australia; and Izzy, unable to afford the program, will stay at home. To add spice to their semester away, and to stay connected to their best friends, the girls start The International Kissing Club, a Facebook page where they can anonymously update one another and brag about all the amazing guys they're meeting. After all, these girls are traveling abroad: amazing guys abound at every turn! But sometimes fun, flirty vacation flings turn into more serious romances, and sometimes you don't return from abroad the same person you were. Will the girls' relationships-and their friendships-be able to survive?


Even though this book made a snarky reference to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book series, I found that the premise was kind of the same (minus the kissing part in the Sisterhood books).  But I liked that series, so I was hoping to like this one too.  Plus the girls used aliases of Disney Princesses, and anyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with Disney and the Princesses, so I just HAD to like this book.  And I did! 

Yes, it was cheesy.  And kind juvenile-ish, with the whole premise being about how many boys they could each kiss.  But it was also a little deeper and dealt with friendships too.  So while its not going to win any awards, it was nice to just sit back and enjoy a book, a kind of guilty pleasure one!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

The International Kissing Club will be released on January 3, 2012.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 A to Z Challenge: I (I am counting that the first name starts with since I don't have a single author whose last name starts with I.)
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 116
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 94
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 94
2011 YA Contemporary Challenge: 20

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Teen Book Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment