Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Book Review- A Dog's Purpose

I finished reading A Dog's Purpose today by W. Bruce Cameron for a Teen Book Scene Tour.

From Goodreads:

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?


Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.


But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?


Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

I have always been a dog lover.  I always had a small dog growing up and knew I wanted one when I lived on my own.  But I couldn't afford one until last year.  And then I got Bella, my little Yorkie.  I had NO idea how much I could possibly love this little puppy.  Yes, she's a brat.  She barks all of the time, chews on things, and is very stubborn.  But I love her more than anything!

This book struck such a chord in me.  I instantly was engrossed in this book and it felt like I became the dog in the book.  It was so well written.  I could feel his happiness and his sadness and his love for the boy.  And the whole time I kept looking at Bella curled up in my lap with tears in my eyes. 

This was such a great, great book.  In fact, I think it's my favorite of this year!  If you're not a dog person, you might not get this book.  But if you are, you need to devour this, NOW!

I gave this book a rating of 5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 112

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Teen Book Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment