Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Book Review- Witch High

Last night I finished reading Witch High edited by Denise Little.

From the back cover:

High school can often be the most influentional period in a teenager's life. Enduring friendships are formed and possible directions for the fututre are explored. For some it is a time to shine, for others just four years to be gotten through. And, of course, there are high schools attended by students with special talents, like music and art, or science and mathematics. But what if there was a school that catered to those rarest of students--people with the talent to perform actual magic?

The fourteen original tales included in WITCH HIGH explore the challenges that students of the magical arts may face in a high school of their very own. If you think chemistry is difficult, try studying alchemy. If you ever fell victim to a school bully, how would you deal with a bully gifted with powerful magic? If you ever wished for extra time to study for those exams, could the right spell give you all teh time you could possibly need?

These are just a few of the magical adventures that await you when you enter SALEM TOWNSHIP PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL #4, a place where Harry Potter and his friends would feel right at home.

Witch High has fourteen short stories in the book, all about the high school life of a witch. I enjoyed reading these stories, although I felt that it was slightly lacking in some areas. I didn't feel like any of the stories were funny, and I missed the humor that I was looking for. I also felt that the authors in the story should have come up with a way to connect the stories, other than just the name of the school. Maybe the characters from one story could show up in another story, or even a class could be the same.

I had two favorite stories: Remedial Magic by Bill McCay and Late Bloomer by Karen. Remedial Magic is about a Saranne, a young girl whose mother was sick and dying and how she tried to help save her mother's life. Late Bloomer is about Addi, a high schooler whose magic hadn't shown up yet and how the group she was welcomed into helped her find her magic.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenge:

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I don't think I'll be buying this book soon, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete