Saturday, April 11, 2009

Weekly Geeks- April 11, 2009


What shall we cook today? It seems that for most of us, a bit of our book obsession would carry over to the cookbook genre, so this week for Weekly Geeks, let's talk cookbooks! Here are some ideas to get you started:
--Describe your cookbook collection. How many cookbooks do you own? A lot? Just a few? None at all?
--Do you even buy cookbooks? Or do you gather family cookbook compilations and/or recipe files instead?
--Do you like to collect certain types of cookbooks? Say, from certain chefs? From places you visit? From a particular food group or style?
--When buying cookbooks, what do you look for? Does it need to have pictures? Spiral binding? A specific type of font?
--What is your favorite cookbook? Tell us the story behind it.
--Tell us about your most well-used cookbook. Is it different from your favorite cookbook? Or are they one and the same?
--Take a picture of your collection. How and where do you organize it?
--Share a recipe from one of your favorite cookbooks. Include a picture if you can.

I am just starting to get into the whole cooking thing, so I only have a couple of cookbooks and I don't have a lot to write about here. I like cookbooks that have pictures but its not neccessary. I would love to find a cookbook that has recipes that include side items to cook along with the entrees (I am having a hard time coming up with side items every night). If you know of one like this, please let me know!!

8 comments:

  1. Joy of Cooking is good for suggesting side dishes. My post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to expetriment. So no cookbooks for me. My mom's recipes are enough!

    WG: Cookery Special

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - it is often difficult to find side dishes that compliment the dish. There are some books which describe whole meals - Nigella Lawson ones are good for this, but it is often nice to keep the side dishes simple, and concentrate on the main bit - good luck with your cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. purpgl8r? I have been online a very long time and during that time some usernames stay with me. I am so sure I know you. Are you a poet, a member at Shelfari, were you ever a member of a community at ezboard.com? I am happy and confused because I cannot remember why I'm so sure we know each other. Veteran message board users know me as zawadi. I hope you can tell me if and how we know each other.

    Glad I came by here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was ezboard. It was a woman's community. More than one. I was the oddball, usually the odd woman out, but you and I clicked. At least that was my impression. You were friendly, diplomatic, open-minded and kind. The name of the forum(s) escape me, but I think I have described you well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like cookbooks with sides/salad and what type of dessert to fix. I love to cook, but I also like good suggetions of what to fix and what goes with what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started cooking really late.. when I got married. And I'm still learning, too.. You could probably buy a potato or rice cookbook, they might offer a lot of side dishes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't start cooking until I was in college and the Joy of Cooking was good and also any crockpot cookbook. My sides mainly consist of potatoes, salad, or a veggie. I agree it is hard to find sides!

    ReplyDelete