Monday, April 13, 2009

Book Review- The Soul Collectors

I finished reading The Soul Collectors by Charles Quince last night.


From the back cover:


If you want to attain your greatest desires, fortune-tellers Winston and Mildred Benford are the people to see. There's just one deadly catch...


In the small town of Maysville, students from Williams College have been experiencing the strangest phenomena. Some are drawn to the strange old couple who live in the creepy house. Others are coaxed. But some rush there, believing it's the chance of a lifetime.


"Now, what is it that you want to know?" Winston asked, settling into the chair opposite her.
"Well," Hope responded, "I will be graduating from college at the end of this semester, and I want to know what lies ahead for me."
"The let's find out," Winston said.

He peered intently into the glass ball set in the center of the table. The glass was murky, as if filled with smoke. He slowly rubbed it with his hands. In a low, soft voice, he said, "I can see that you want to be successful, more successful than everyone around you."
Hope frowned. "What's wrong with that? Look, I want to know exactly what lies ahead for me," Hope said. "I want to know what I need to do."


Why let fate decide your future, when you can shape your own destiny?


This was sent to me as a review copy. And after what I read, I hope this is a really, really early draft. It was only 78 pages long. The story switched from character to character with no warning so it got very confusing as to what was happening. And there was no character development. Don't get me wrong--the premise was a good idea. But there were hardly any details and the book just seemed flat. There could have been a lot more action and things happening than what was written.


I gave this book a rating of 1/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment